www.softwater.ie : For all your Water Softener needs in Ireland

What flood water can do to your Water Supply!

Floods in Ireland, 2009With the recent severe rainfall and the subsequent floods, the damage it caused to both residential and commercial property is unprecedented.

The daily life of the victims of such disaster areas is just unmanageable, homes destroyed as well as all personal items lost.

Along with all other huge inconveniences causes by such disasters, one source of life which becomes so precious is safe drinking water. To hear of and see that the only means of obtaining safe water is from a lorry with a tanker can be unsettling. This is because the normal water entering such homes would be highly contaminated due to flood water getting into any septic tanks and slurry tanks causing them to overflow and travel all over the place across the flood plain.

This water would now be highly contaminated with Bacteria making it unsafe for any form of human contact, not to mind drinking it.
A lesson from such disasters is that water should be protected as much as possible, in particular if you have your own private well.

Private Well Water SupplyThe following safety procedures may be of help to maintain its safety:

  1. The bore hole location should be located and identified.
  2. A secure man hole protection area should be built around its head, this will avoid any possibility of vermin falling into the well, and it should also be built so that it will not allow any surface water getting into the well. These two simple changes will greatly reduce the possibilities of contamination damaging the well.
  3. If you are concerned about the present quality of the water coming from the well it would be wise to chlorinate it to kill any bacteria present in the water.
    This is done by:
  • Buying a gallon of Chlorine from your local hardware store
  • Pour one pint or so into a container such as a bucket
  • Fill with water and mix
  • Pour this chlorinated mix down into the well
  • Pour a second bucket of {water only water} down the well to wash the mix down into the well.
  • Leave for one hour
  • Now turn on all the cold taps in the house until you find the smell of chlorine coming from the tap faucet.
  • When you do turn off the water and leave overnight , by leaving the mix settle in the pipe work over night it will allow the mix to make contact with the bacteria and this killing them off.
  • The next morning flush the taps until the smell of chlorine has dissipated off
  • Now water should be safe to consume, however it would be wise to leave for a further number of days and have the water tested and if the bacteria are still present it would be very wise to consider the installation of a full house Ultraviolet unit, these units are installed next to the pressure vessel and connected on to the mains water supply entering your home. Please see our web site www.softwater.ie for full details.

Post a comment.

*